Monday, October 03, 2011

What (Gratitude Poem #29)


What

For Julia

After Audre Lorde’s “Change”

what sweat baptism
what tilt of equity
what requiem for who I was you make
thrust trust onto shore
preached practiced pressed
here waves bring salt
savor and save
wounds bring their own salvation

and name it never
name it home
name it necessary healing

name it you


Julia Roxanne Wallace.  You are the gift that keeps on giving.  I am so grateful to you for insisting that I follow my spirit and take this trip to St. Croix even when I felt like I didn't have the time to spare and wouldn't be able to raise the money.  I am grateful to you for saying that spending our first-date anniversary with Audre in St. Croix was an affirmation to our love and for reminding me that we'll have many many many more first-date anniversaries to spend together.   Thank you for being abundant in your love for me and teaching me to live abundantly guided by love.   By the time I've posted this poem I'll already have another love poem for you.  Thank you for assuring that I will always have that central motivation for poetry: a love that transcends words.

No comments: